Hey all, Welcome to Geeksforjobs
What is physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is a branch of medical science. It aims to restore the proper functioning of disabled or injured body parts. It is also known as physical therapy. It is the treatment of illness, injury, or deformity using physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise, rather than using medicinal drugs or performing any type of surgery.
Who performs it?
Physiotherapy is performed by professionals, known as physiotherapists. Physiotherapists study the science of movement. They learn how to pay attention to the root causes of injury. Physiotherapists are highly trained health professionals who provide treatment for people suffering from physical problems. The purpose of a physiotherapist is to reduce the effects of any dysfunction, to reduce pain and restore function, or to improve the quality of a person’s quality of life by using a variety of treatments in case of permanent injury or illness. .
Areas of Physiotherapists
Physiotherapists often work as part of a multi-disciplinary team in various fields, such as
- Community Health Center or Clinic
- GP surgery
- Sometimes in sports teams, clubs, charities and workplaces
- Sometimes they also visit the house
What problems do physiotherapists treat?
Physiotherapists focus on both prevention and rehabilitation. Treatment can be for problems caused by injury, illness or disability. some examples are-
- Neck pain and back pain due to muscle and skeletal problems
- In various problems like bones, joints, muscles and arthritis
- Lung problems like asthma
- Disability due to heart problems
- Pelvic issues, such as bladder and bowel problems that are related to childbirth
- Loss of mobility due to brain or spinal cord trauma
- Any other type of pain, swelling, trauma, stiffness, muscle strengthening due to various operations.
The approach used by physiotherapists
Physiotherapists use 3 main approaches when treating people. These are
- Advice and education
- manual therapy
- Movement and exercise
Sometimes they also use some other techniques such as acupuncture and ultrasound.
Types of physiotherapy
- musculoskeletal – This physiotherapy type is also known as orthopedic physiotherapy. It is used for the treatment of conditions such as stress, back pain, arthritis, incontinence, posture problems, bursitis, sports and workplace injuries, reduced mobility. Rehabilitation after surgery is also included.
- Neurological-This type of physiotherapy is used to treat nervous system disorders such as spinal cord injury, stroke, multiple sclerosis, acquired brain injuries, Parkinson’s disease. It can also be used for rehabilitation after brain surgery.
- Cardiothoracic-This physiotherapy type is used to treat chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema and other cardio-respiratory disorders.
Are physiotherapists doctors?
In this context, different people have different opinions. Some consider him a doctor and some do not. Some people say that it is illegal to use the prefix dr. If you are a physiotherapist, but some say physiotherapists can use that prefix Dr.
But according to this –
• Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP)
• Indian Medical Association (IMA)
• Medical Council of India (MCI)
Physiotherapists may use the prefix dr in their names.
Indeed, there is a prohibition among people, they think that physiotherapists cannot be considered as doctors and only surgeons or persons studying MBBS can be considered doctors.
However- “Doctors are the people who treat or diagnose you; They are the kind of person who helps you live a better life. ”
And physiotherapists are doing the same thing.
So, the answer to this question is whether physiotherapists are doctors or not. Yes.
Physiotherapists are doctors.