Hey all, Welcome to Geeksforjobs
A combination of words (in that order) is considered as a proposition which means a compound representation. Mixed preface is often used in English. Very often, though not always, these personal words are propositions by themselves.
like. Rama went to the forest with Sita. [“along with” is on compound preposition & along and with are prepositions by themselves]
For example, I know the use of compound propositions and for you, I am not so sure. [“as for” is one compound preposition & as and for are prepositions by themselves
e.g. He got to this position by means of his own knowledge and merit.[by means of is one compound preposition. While by and of are prepositions by themselves, means is not.]
A preposition with its object stands for a prepositional phrase. A preposition phrase begins with a preposition and ends with a noun, a pronoun, a gerund or a clause. There are different or more modifiers to explain the object of sponsorship over and over again.
A preposition phrase can be taken from one of these forms
Proposition + (noun, pronoun, gerund or clause)
Preposition + (Modifier) [s]) + Pronoun, gerund or clause)
Like, he was at home when he was reading the newspaper [The word ‘at’ is a preposition, and the word ‘home’ is its object and is a noun.]
Example: I received a letter from my grandmother yesterday. [The word ‘from’ is a preposition, ‘my’, a modifier, and grandmother’, a noun.]
Like, my dad advised my sister not to worry too much.[Against’word’isapreposition’excessive’isamodifierand’alarming’isacrowd)[Theword’against’isapreposition’excessive’amodifierand’worrying’agerund)[‘केखिलाफ’शब्दएकपूर्वसर्ग’अत्यधिक’एकसंशोधकऔर’चिंताजनक’एकगेरुंडहै)[Theword‘against’isapreposition‘excessive’amodifierand‘worrying’agerund)
For example, Tony went to the customer where the tickets were being sold.[Theword”from’isaprepositionHerethefirst’counter’actsasamodifierandwherethereisasectionshowingthepenaltybox)[Theword”to’isaprepositionHerethefirst’the’actsasamodifierofcounterandwheretsignsreasons)[शब्द”से’एकपूर्वसर्गहै।यहांपहला’द’काउंटरकेएकसंशोधककेरूपमेंकार्यकरताहैऔरजहांटिकटबेचेजारहेथेएकखंडकोदर्शाताहै)[Theword“to’isaprepositionHerethefirst‘the’actsasamodifierofcounterandwheretheticketswerebeingsoldsignifiesaclause)
A short exercise to find prepositional phrases
- I cannot submit this report without your knowledge.
- He asked me to take him to the temple.
- Popcorn in the vegetable bin are golden with mold.
- He got a reply from his professor.
- When he heard his friend’s arrival, he left for the station in a flash.
- She was advised to constantly worry about the future.
- It was hard to believe that he was far ahead of his classmates in the race.
- Her arguments in the debate competition were much shallower than her friend, which was much deeper.
- AR Rahman loves working behind the scenes.
- He firmly believes that there is always a way out of any problem.